I was inspired by some interaction between people I engage with on Twitter.
From Saturday evening (dinner) I committed to only drinking water and black coffee for five consecutive days.
- Daily I typically fast 16 hrs a day and at least once a week I fast for 24 hrs so the first day was a cruise. We live on an acreage and I had a fair amount of work to do in the garden and it didn’t affect me at all.
- Dinner times with feeding kids is tough. Fortunately I have an understanding partner and had a presentation to do on the second night.
- I didn’t change much exercise wise on the first 3 days but didn’t do anything extra on the last two days.
- From 2.5 days to the end of the third day I had doubts I could make it – it seemed too far away.
- I added black Rooibos (a South Africa herbal tea) to my intake so I could have something in the evenings.
- The last 2 days were the easiest.
- I lost 1.6kg.
Some thoughts below:
- The general population eats i) too much and ii) too frequently.
- The fact that there are still dieticians who recommend ‘eating every 2-3hrs’ is one reason the profession is so distrusted.
- Most people live well within their comfort zone and FEAR venturing out.
- If you don’t think you can’t fast for 24hrs: i) you NEED to and ii) you’re not as healthy as you think.
- I wouldn’t recommend starting with a 5-day fast but build up to it (gradually and progressively).
- After all that water I should’ve taken in salt earlier than day 3 (by which stage I was craving it!).
- Next time I’ll add creatine and perhaps a bone broth.
- I couldn’t believe how many people were shocked I wasn’t dying.
- When our ancestors were on the ‘plains of Africa’ they’d have to be mentally sharp and physically ready to hunt after a few days of fasting… Yet we are scared to give our, and our kid’s, bodies a break from food.
- I must have saved a truckload of time and money.
- I only tracked body mass. I regret not tracking skin folds and some bloods.
- If I had to guess, I probably had two more days in me.
- My ‘refeed’ was a (a cheesy mince dish) was one of the best tasting meals I’ve have ever had : )